The MediaTek Dimensity 9300, while touted for its incredible overall performance, has faced criticism in a recent CPU stress test, revealing thermal throttling issues. Unlike the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3, the Dimensity 9300 lacks efficiency cores, leading to increased power consumption. In a test on the Vivo X100 Pro, equipped with a vapor chamber for cooling, the Dimensity 9300 exhibited thermal throttling after just two minutes of the CPU Throttling Test.
- CPU Architecture Difference: The Dimensity 9300 departed from the traditional CPU cluster, lacking efficiency cores. This design choice aims for superior overall performance but comes at the expense of increased power consumption.
- Thermal Throttling Displayed: In a CPU Throttling Test, one of the Dimensity 9300 cores experienced a clock speed drop to 0.60GHz, with other cores reduced to frequencies of 1.20GHz and 1.50GHz. The chip’s default maximum clock speed is 3.25GHz. The test revealed a 46% performance drop during stress testing.
- Cooling Solution: The Vivo X100 Pro, like many Android flagships, features a vapor chamber for thermal management. However, the absence of low-power cores on the Dimensity 9300 contributed to higher power draw and subsequent thermal throttling.
- Performance Implications: While the Dimensity 9300 faces challenges in stress tests, real-world performance under normal conditions may be satisfactory. Ambient temperature, humidity, and other factors contribute to thermal management challenges.
- Considerations for Future SoCs: The test results prompt considerations for future SoCs, with suggestions that MediaTek may need to rethink its approach, especially when introducing a similar ‘performance-only’ CPU cluster for the Dimensity 9400 in the future.
- Competition and Factors: While the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 and A17 Pro may exhibit better performance in stress tests, real-world performance involves various factors, including ambient temperature, making it essential to assess chips under typical usage conditions.
The test results highlight the trade-offs made with the Dimensity 9300’s architecture and emphasize the importance of considering multiple factors, including cooling solutions and real-world scenarios when evaluating the performance of smartphone chipsets.